Friday, December 5, 2008

Addicted!!!

One of the many things which me and my family don't(or should I say didn't) have in common was the craze for coffee. Its fantastic to note how the craze runs through generations in my family.
To my knowledge one of the greatest addicts of coffee was :(:( my grandmother. Her craze for caffine is unmatchable.She used to drink coffee at 9:30 in the morning, 1:00 in the afternoon and 5:00 in the evening. You might be thinking thats not much. But what I had refrained from mentioning there was that those were the official ones. Apart from that, whenever anybody ventured into our house (be it the postwoman, our next-house neighbours(ok,thats an endless list),even saleswomen,relatives(that is an infinite list again)),their only way to freedom was to drink the cup of coffee which my grandma thrusted in his/her hands. Only when the poor soul (ok, i agree i'm exagerating their plight bcoz not one of them have ever complained about the coffee, some have even asked for another cup and have thus managed to gain an appreiciative smile from her) had started drinking would my grandmother settle down next to them (with a cup of her own,of course) and talk.
The next generation which comprises of my dad and aunts, gleefully inherited this habit from her. But, when my turn came my mother ensured I survived on complan,bonus(yes, there was something like that) etc. etc. I say etc. etc. not because I not remember the names but the list too long because my mother keeps switching from one to another. Ask my mother and she'll tell you in which month of which year I had what (ok, no more praises. Right now, I'm in a state of war with her).So I never even had an opportunity to venture near coffee.
When I came to college, there no mom to stand behind me and watch what I eat and drink. But, I still continued on plain milk (read as water, if you've had milk from the mess) and tea.Reason?Simple. Both of them were readily available whereas we had to prepare coffee.
But, after coming home things have changed. I noticed this shop which has an instant coffee vending machine. The first day I noticed it, I passed by it defiantly looking the other way. I didn't want to get hooked up to anything. But, as I've always felt, its fate that made me go and buy my first coffee there (on the second day of my holidays).Why?Ok, see I have valid reasons. It was raining,I was alone at home,I wanted to have something hot and I had never tried making a single cup of coffee in my life (not even for my grandma who used to bribe me with chocolates).That was the innocuous beginning to this addiction I'm caught in. Now, everyday I drink 2 cups of instant coffee. Everytime I think about coffee I start fidgeting.Sometimes,I wonder if this is how drug addicts feel.


PS:With full faith on my laziness there is a glimmer of hope that I might give up coffee after coming back to college (remember, we have to make our own coffee there)

And most importantly, don't tell my mom. Shhh...

6 comments:

Susa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susa said...

lol! i've had slightly.. different experiences with coffee:

http://darkiron.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/cursed-cuppa

«AM» said...

1. Don't ever drink at Starbucks
2. Make your own coffee to get it cheap.

Anonymous said...

hmm... weird.. my addiction to coffee is long gone from the time when i came to college :P

mathangi said...

is it bcoz u r 2 lazy to prepare it or bcoz of the water we get in the name of milk?