Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I was travelling in a bus from the railway station to my college.
The following is the conversation I had with the lady sitting beside me:

LADY : endha college (which college?)

ME : (trying not to sound too proud)NIT

LADY :???

ME : (correcting myself)REC

LADY :oh! endha ooru?Kerala va? (which place are you from?Kerala?)

Anki : (snigger,snigger ,snigger)

ME : (fuming and thinking) everyone knows our college is filled with mallus and more mallus and more mallus...

ME : (telling her)illa ... chennai (No... chennai)

The lady first looks at me as though I am a mentally retarded person.Then her expression changes to pity and she asks

LADY : en ma chennai-la evalo nalla college-lam irruku ... Sathyabama , Jeppiar college ... edhuluyame seat kadaikalaiya? ( There are so many good colleges in chennai like sathayabama,jeppiar college etc. Didn't you get admission in any of them?)

ME : (no words coming out of my mouth)um... um ... um

Anki: (by now red with laughter snigger,snigger,more snigger)

LADY : (unmindful of the laughter and discomfort continues proudly) en ponnu sathyabama college-la padikara (My daughter studies in sathyabama college)

ME :(fervently praying the bus reaches my college soon)oh appadiya! (Oh ! Is that so?)

As soon I caught the first glimpse of the college from the bus, I rushed from my seat to the door ... not because I was eager to get back but because I'd been embarrased enough for the day.

PS 1: You might be wondering why I've written the conversation in Tamil and then translated it... well as HT says : things sound more embarrasing in tamil ...(HT : tamil-la sonna dhan oru punch irrukum)

PS 2 : ....

PS 3 : nothing ... I love PS3

6 comments:

ark :) said...

lol!!! lol... i still remember that day.. we were coming back after onam hols or something like that na.. maybe thts y she mistook u... and didnt expect u to take this issue till here... anyway still its comic element retained... nice read!!;)

mathangi said...

hey ... gud to c ur alive ... today suddenly i was reminded of this incident (dunno y, probably due to excessive brooding abt nearin end of hols)

The Mudd said...

hey nice post...
ps: whats wrong with ps1 and ps2??

mathangi said...

nuthin dude ... by PS3 I mean Playstation3 ...k?

The Mudd said...

heh.. i got that !!! (not that much of a doofus) ...n i meant wat was wrong wit play station 1 and 2 maam

mathangi said...

nuthin xcept that iven't used em ... i started with PS3